Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Do Plants need Light?

In Science I grew two watermelon plants in a cup. I did this because I was supposed to see if plants need light. I put one cup in a cupboard, and labeled it "dark". I put the other cup on a windowsill and labeled it "light". So do plants need light?
 
Apparently not because they both grew. :)
But the one in the dark turned yellow and will not turn into a watermelon.
 
The one in the dark also grew mold.

This is the one in the light. 

It grew good and did not turn yellow. So if it wasn't winter it probably would grow into a watermelon. So yes, plants do need light. Sort of.

Done by Ella

1 comment:

  1. As you found out seeds can sprout without light, which makes sense since they will be in the dirt where there isn't light anyway. But they do need a little moisture and warmth. To continue to grow they do need light or they turn yellow and die. Great job on the experiment, you were a very observant scientist!

    ReplyDelete